The Düsseldorf-based Rheinbahn operates a Stadtbahn service to the centrally located Rheinstraße stop.This line was the first electric inter-city rail line in Europe, established in 1898, and commonly called the K-Bahn because of the letter "K" used to denote the trains to Krefeld.
The program annually places approximately thirty carefully selected high school juniors with families in and around Krefeld for intensive German language training.The city of Krefeld itself operates four tramway and several bus lines under the umbrella of SWK MOBIL, a city-owned company.Since 2010, 19 of the oldest trams of the type DUEWAG GT8 were replaced by modern barrier-free trams of the type Bombardier Flexity Outlook.Records first mention Krefeld itself in 1105 under the name of Krinvelde.Uerdingen, originally an independent town east of Krefeld, founded in 1255, became in medieval times larger and more important than Krefeld.
Private fickdates Krefeld
SWK Mobil owns an option to buy another 19 trams of the same type to replace the last 19 DUEWAG M8 trams. Next to that the city plans to extend the line 044 in Krefeld-Hüls to connect the northern district of Hüls with the Krefeld downtown area.The headquarters of Fressnapf, a pet food retailer franchise company, are situated in Krefeld.Krefeld is connected to the Deutsche Bahn network with several stations, including its main station, Krefeld Hauptbahnhof.They are served by Intercity, Regional-Express and Regionalbahn trains.In February 1598, Walburga, wife of Adolf van Nieuwenaar, and last Countess of Limburg and Moers, gifted the County of Moers , which included Krefeld, to Maurice, Prince of Orange.
After her death in 1600, John William of Cleves took possession of these lands, but Maurice successfully defended his heritage in 1601.In Linn, there is a park built around a Wasserburg, a castle built at the water's edge, and with a water-filled moat.The Burg Linn, as the castle is known, has been preserved for the city's residents as a park and museum.The Uerdingen line isogloss, separating general dialectical areas in Germany and neighbouring Germanic-speaking countries, runs through and is named after Krefeld's Uerdingen district, originally an independent municipality.The town originated in Roman times when the legions founded the military camp of Gelduba (today the borough of Gellep).